...these silver lines, travel from my thoughts to yours, wavering, floating like spirits dancing...


Wednesday, October 20, 2010

So, the day before yesterday, I finally get down and make the ginger bread which I'd been itching to make ever since I saw the recipe on tv. But sadly, that's the thing with following stuff on tv, these recipes are often faulty and their production team should really get their points straight. I guess some of the fault also lies with the cook itself, who doesn't know the difference between one or one and a half teaspoon of baking powder in baking, or who proposes 2 tablespoons (I mean c'mon, really?! you think we are that stupid?) of cinammon powder. So obviously, the recipe I posted of the ginger bread, clearly, CLEARLY needs to be revised, and let this be a headsup to anyone following recipes on tv, be on gaurd, and use common sense too!

Here's how it goes. Use one teaspoon of baking powder. Use one teaspoon of cinammon powder. If you want your bread to taste as cinammony as gingery, by all means use two teaspoons, but since we are making ginger bread, and not cinammon bread, for me, one teaspoon would suffice. AND, last but not the least, and in addition to the last point, use two tablespoons of ground ginger, using a mortar and pestle, this way all the lovely juices come out and it would flavour the bread most deliciously.

When I was going through the recipe, I clearly found 2 tbsps of cinammon to be too much, so I used 2 tsps, but the next time I make this bread, I will use 1 tsp only. Also, I found the bread not gingery enough for me, and although the cinammon wasn't really overpowering the ginger, it almost did, and I wanted to taste the bite of the ginger. So, I decided to decorate the bread with some whipped cream.

Here's what I did. I took a pack of cream, whipped it with some icing sugar, till it was light and fluffy. Then ground some ginger, about a tablespoon of that, and added that together with its fragrant juices into the cream and finally the juice of one lemon, to add a little sour taste to it. I cut my bread lengthways in half, and put one third of the cream on the cut side of the bottom piece, and put the top piece and dolloped the rest of the cream on the top and sides, and made little swirls in the cream with the help of the edge of the spatula. Left it in the fridge to set for a while, and in the evening, had it with some ginger and lemon tea.

Alternatively you can use flowery infusion teas or even some coffee if you prefer.

By the way, this faulty recipe on tv was the creation of Farah Jahanzaib on Zaiqa. Just a headsup you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment