...these silver lines, travel from my thoughts to yours, wavering, floating like spirits dancing...


Monday, July 23, 2012

Some of my favourite things

The smell of vanilla lingering on my fingers. The first peeling of an orange in autumn. Or the bite of summer's first ripe, juicy mango. The smell of coffee in the morning. Or in the afternoon. Or at night. Cinnamon wafting with chocolate in the oven. Family photos. The wind scurrying through my hair. Winter's sun falling on my face. Friends. My pillow caressing my head, engulfing me in deep, peaceful sleep after a long, long, LONG day. The first bite of a chocolate. A warm, comforting hug and a kiss. Family. Listening to music on headphones while traveling in a bus. Long road trips. Cinnamon. Bob Marley. Slumber parties with my friends. Cats! and kittens! Cooking in the kitchen. Learning something new. Travelling. Reading. Snuggling in a warm bed with hot chocolate and a good book. Hot tea. Rain. Thunderstorms. The earth as it smells after a rain. Playing with my niece and nephew. My sisters. Photography. Winter. Christopher Pike. Long naps in the afternoon. Marbles. Going out with friends. Opening up the closet to take out clothes for the new season and realizing how much I missed wearing them, or forgotten some had even existed! Movies. Popcorn. Walking. Working. The smell of my hair after a shampoo. Dressing up. High heels. Long nights. Helping someone. Spongebob squarepants. Praying and meditation. Writing. Theatre. Nigella Lawson. Shelling peanuts on a cold, wet winter day. Vampires, vampire books and vampire films. Cluedo, the game. Origami. Playing with clay. Scribbling and doodling. Science! Chocolate fudge cake. Sweet strawberries. Tidying up my room. Memories. Pigging out on huge pizzas with friends or family. The smell of barbecue food. Nigel Slater. Cartoon films from my childhood. Doughnuts. Listening to the sound of rain. Quiet moments by myself. Perfumes. Laughing at a joke, or with someone. Trees. The idea of designing my own house someday, and from time to time thinking, as inspiration strikes, I would want that in my house, or I would like to have a wall painted this way, and hang that there, or put that there. Abida Parveen. A dream kitchen. Fresh fruit. French fries with cheese sauce on a cold, windy day. Cashew nuts. A  big, juicy steak. New clothes. Jewellery. The idea of what I would do if I had this and this much money. My college. Art. Meeting new people. Going to art galleries by my self. Archaeology. Bruce Springsteen. Love stories. Sea shells. Coming home after a tiring day to a house smelling of Mummy's biryani cooking. My books. The idea of a perfect bathroom with a bathtub to soak myself and indulge in, some day. Pasta. Colours. Stationary. Paints. Drawing with charcoal on a big sheet of paper. Chicken karahi. The smell of roses. Running my fingers through my hair, lying in bed. Sleeping. Packing for a vacation. Desi writers. The idea of going to Turkey, France, Italy, Egypt or Morocco some day and exploring the places and the local cuisine. Lasagna. Stringy cheese. Animals. 3D movies in cinema. Henna designs. Festivals. Nihari. Bulleh Shah. Books from my childhood. The smell of old books as I open them up, hold them near my face and close my eyes to let the fragrance sweep me away. Writing stories. Making up things in my head. Nat King Cole. A hot, juicy burger when I'm starving. Jazz music. Classical Indian and Pakistani music. Qatlamma with chilled coke. Pancakes, preferably with strawberries or blueberries and whipped cream and maple syrup. Anne Rice. Corn on the cob. Samosas. Parks. Old libraries. Oscar Wilde. Horror films. Mysticism. Chocolate melting on my fingers and in my mouth. Cinnamon rolls. Berry flavoured lip gloss. Getting ready for a party. Making hand made cards. Presents! A breakfast of paratha, aam ka achaar, spicy onion and chili omellete and chai. Wind chimes. Big warm sweaters. Cookies baking in the oven. My mother's hug! Monsoon rains. Sausages. Cold coffee. Nutella. Walnut brownies with ice-cream. Tutti Fruitti frozen yogurt. Marshmallows. Picnics in the outdoors in spring. Snuggling in the bed with the quilt and blankets raised up to my chin. Acting. Making films. History and Philosophy. Crunching into a fresh, juicy apple. Halwa poori. Crunchy sushi. Watching the sunset. Lemonade. Spicy noodles. A Song of Ice and Fire book series. Going out for sheesha with friends. Chocolate Molten Lava cake with ice-cream. Baby powder/lotion. Doing something stupid and then laughing about it later. Singing a song to myself. Coloured paper. Legends and myths.Cream cheese. Scrap-booking. Sidney Sheldon. Thick, soft, woolly scarves.

More will be added to this list soon... I'm sure of it.

1 comment:

  1. interesting list, reminded me many things that i like but never noticed because of this BUSY LIFE.

    ReplyDelete