...these silver lines, travel from my thoughts to yours, wavering, floating like spirits dancing...


Saturday, March 13, 2010

Reminiscence

Today as I'm sitting in my workplace, on this golden March morning, I witnessed something not too strange or out of the ordinary, yet it deserves to be mentioned here, because it brought forth some memories of my previous workplace.

I'm sitting in the newsroom, across the door that leads to the rooftop passage leading to the other part of the building, going into the studios and other departments. The door was left ajar to let the fresh air in, and before you knew it, a sparrow had made its way inside the newsroom. The bird fluttered here and there and perched on top of the metal box containing wires and electrical outlets, near the ceiling of the wall parallel to me.

I sat watching it, looking at its small brown intelligent eyes, looking at its surroundings, before it flew away from its seat further into the distance.

At once, images flashed across my mind, of a pigeon I had seen, similarly flying in the top most floor of my previous workplace, trapped for several hours, finding no exit. As soon as people tried to come near it to take it away and set it free, it would fly away to some other corner, near the top of the walls of the floor. This carried on for quite some time, and people came up with their own suggestions and solutions on how to set the poor creature free. The little bird must have been exhausted from flying this way and that, and hungry and thirsty no doubt. After a while, we saw how the effort was taking its toll on it, as its little white feathers were scattered throughout the office.

I don't remember who captured the bird finally, but somebody did with a cloth wrapped around its body, and its little heart must have been beating frantically at this point...

Funny how some things, trigger some memories.

Like a bird trapped in a cage...

1 comment:

  1. maybe that creature represents you..its an anlogy created by God....you are that bird stuck in that workplace, you dont want to be at...you waiting to be set free but doint know your way out yourself....and yes i am not making any sense...thank you!!

    ReplyDelete